akonadi database creating 300MB+ log message per day

I'm seeing odd behaviour but not sure where the fault lies -- it is perhaps
some configuration issue on my part -- so asking here before filing a bug.

The file ~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/mysql.err is being spammed by error
logs many times per minute:

2023-07-01 13:06:27 256 [ERROR] Incorrect definition of table
mysql.column_stats: expected column 'histogram' at position 10 to have type
longblob, found type varbinary(255).
2023-07-01 13:06:27 256 [ERROR] Incorrect definition of table
mysql.column_stats: expected column 'hist_type' at position 9 to have type
enum('SINGLE_PREC_HB','DOUBLE_PREC_HB','JSON_HB'), found type
enum('SINGLE_PREC_HB','DOUBLE_PREC_HB').

It's accruing at the rate of several hundred MB per day.  I believe it's been
going on for quite some time, because the mysql.err.old file was 35 GB by the
time I caught it.

When I search this string in google, I get lots of hits from the recent past
to many years ago that all commonly suggest that an upgrade has gone wrong.
Most of these actually deal with docker containers, but since my log file is
under akonadi I think docker is not the problem.  As a test, I did shut down
docker completely and the logs still kept coming.

A typical recommendation [1] is to run "mysql_upgrade" by hand.  However,
doing so gives another interesting error:

$ mysql_upgrade
Reading datadir from the MariaDB server failed. Got the following error when
executing the 'mysql' command line client
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local server through socket '/run/mysqld/
mysqld.sock' (2)
FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed

In fact, the directory "/run/mysqld" doesn't even exist on the machine:

$ ls -l /run/mysqld
ls: cannot access '/run/mysqld': No such file or directory

Is this a broken config here??
Any advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks,
-Steve