Re: Qt5 PATH Issue in HsQML Packaging

On Thursday 11 December 2014 09:52:45 Christopher Reichert wrote:
> Hello Debian Qt/KDE maintenance team,

Hi Christopher!

> I am packaging the HsQML[0] library on behalf of the Debian Haskell
> Group. HsQML is a Haskell binding for Qt Quick and used to create QML
> GUI's in Haskell.
>
> HsQML relies on certain qt5 tools such as moc in the PATH in order to
> build and in order to build other applications using HsQML as a library.
>
> My problem is that only the qt5-default package seems to provide
> this. Of course, adding qt5-default to the package depends will throw a
> Lintian error:
>
> https://lintian.debian.org/tags/build-depends-on-metapackage.html
>

> I'm sure this is not the first time this has been asked but I couldn't
> find any concrete information to solve this.

Please take a look at [0]. I really should write that down on our alioth's web
page.

[0] <http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com.ar/2013/08/qt-in-debian-using-qt4-andor-qt5-in.html>

> Currently, my packaging is at:
> darcs.debian.org:/darcs/pkg-haskell/haskell-hsqml
>
> Any advice on what would be best practice?

The above will solve the building stage. Now you might hit a problem at
runtime. For example, if you call moc, by default Qt4's moc will be used. So
you need to somehow tell the system you need the Qt5 version.

Take a look at qtchooser's man page, but it basically boils down to either
passing -qt5 to each qt-related tool invocation or setting QT_SELECT to Qt5
just to your program (for example, using a script to set the env variable and
then calling the binary).

We know it's not pretty, but it's what we currently have here.

Kinds regards, Lisandro.

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/