Re: Qt4/5 library name extensions

On Friday 28 November 2014 07:26:25 Gudjon I. Gudjonsson wrote:
> Hello list
>
> I am wondering if any of you has some good advice on name extensions for
> libraries for both Qt4 and Qt5.
>
> In Debian I see the QtGui (and more) are named libQtGui for qt4 and
> libQt5Gui for qt5.
> Is this Debian specific or based on any recommendations?
>
> There is an ongoing discussion about the Qwt library here:
> http://sourceforge.net/p/qwt/mailman/qwt-interest/?viewmonth=201411&style=th
> readed
>
> and I will be very happy if there is a consensus that can be applied by
> upstream and accepted by most Linux distributions. I hope there is one and I
> have just missed it :)

Hi Gudjon! I barely missed the mail.

The naming scheme comes from upstream. But it is indeed based on
recommendations, as you need to keep a proper soname.

I quickly glanced over Rex Dieter's mails, and the suggestions seems sane
enough.

Qt5Qwt is not bad, but may be like stepping over Qt's upstream's toes.

Kinds regards, Lisandro.

--
"No es el crecimiento de la tecnología lo que excluye, sino la
protección sistemática de los derechos de uso de la misma,

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/