Re: distro-tracker quick-setup failed

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020, Steven Robbins wrote:
> On Sunday, February 23, 2020 2:23:14 A.M. CST Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>
> > In the mean time, we should possibly update the documentation to explain
> > that the quick setup is broken. Willing to submit a MR for this?
>
> What should the documentation suggest to do after ignoring the
> error in quick-setup.sh?

Actually the documentation already covers the manual setup. In the same
bullet point it says:
> If you have more time and want to learn more about the configuration of
> distro tracker, follow the steps in the sections Setting up Distro
> Tracker and Setting up the package repositories.

The two links in that paragraph are relevant.

What you are lacking after the failed quick-setup.sh is:
- "./manage.py migrate" to create the database
- "./manage.py loaddata distro_tracker/core/fixtures/debian-repositories.xml" to
  configure the package repositories to monitor
- "./manage.py tracker_update_repositories" to scan the repositories and
  add packages. This is the minimum if you want to have packages
  available. But there are many more things that you will be lacking
  if you do only this. If you want everything, you should instead
  run "./manage.py tracker_run_all_tasks".

> In my case, I have a Debian Package Tracker instance on my local machine, but
> I don't know what to do with it now.  There is a package search box, but I
> haven't been able to find any packages.
>
> Maybe it would be better to instead disable downloading the database?

Yes, and (propose to) run the above steps instead...

Cheers,
--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁