Advice about pydevd and debugpy

Hi!

Background:

debugpy vendors pydevd (which in turn vendors an old version of
bytecode).

Until version 1.8.0 of debugpy (currently in testing), the vendored
copy of pydevd was (almost) identical to the separately published
pydevd, so I had replaced the vendored version of pydevd with the
Debian-packaged version.

pydevd now has an FTBFS, so needs fixing or updating.

But now I've found that the version of pydevd published separately
(now bumped from version 2.10.0 to 3.0.x) has started diverging fairly
significantly from the vendored version in debugpy (as it moved from
version 1.8.0 to 1.8.1): both are being modified, but along different
paths.  Trying to use pydevd 3.0.3 with debugpy 1.8.1 leads to
multiple test failures.

My thought is that at this point, seeing that these two packages are
now diverging sufficiently that tests break, that for debugpy, I
should stop trying to use a separately-packaged version of pydevd and
instead switch to using the vendored version shipped with debugpy.

If we do this, then at some point (probably after trixie, if nothing
changes with the forked debugpy - pydevd relationship), I will suggest
that we remove the pydevd package from Debian, as debugpy is the only
package that depends on it, and I doubt that anyone else is using
pydevd directly.

(A separate issue is that the chances are that the pydevd tests that
have started failing with the separately packaged pydevd will fail
with the vendored version in debugpy as well, but they are not being
run in the upstream test suite, and I'm not sure they would be able to
run in this vendored environment anyway.)

Does anyone have any comments on my plan?

Best wishes,

   Julian