Re: Sponsorship request: python-ping3

Carles Pina i Estany <carles@pina.cat> wrote on 17/10/2023 at 23:42:27+0200:

> [[PGP Signed Part:No public key for A802884F60A55F81 created at 2023-10-17T23:42:27+0200 using RSA]]
>
> Hi,
>
> On 17 Oct 2023 at 22:13:05, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Carles Pina i Estany <carles@pina.cat> wrote on 16/10/2023 at 21:27:33+0200:
>>
>> > [[PGP Signed Part:No public key for A802884F60A55F81 created at 2023-10-16T21:27:33+0200 using RSA]]
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I ITP simplemonitor (#1016113), so I started with one of its
>> > dependencies (actually is a "soft" dependency, optional but better to
>> > have) (two more to come).
>> >
>> > So, I RFS for ping3:
>> > https://mentors.debian.net/package/python-ping3/
>> > https://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/python-ping3/python-ping3_4.0.4-1.dsc
>> >
>> > Also in:
>> > https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/packages/python-ping3
>> >
>> > This is my first package for Debian. Reviewing only, or reviewing +
>> > sponsorship, are very appreciated. I'd like to get this one as right as
>> > possible to do the next Python3 packages as good as possible.
>> >
>> > If it suits anyone better: I'm cpina on freenode (#debian-python for
>> > example).
>> >
>> > Thank you very much for any advise!
>>
>> LGTM. Just for DEP-14, you should have the main branch named
>> debian/unstable and not debian/master.
>
> Oops! I actually followed
> https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/tools/python-modules/blob/master/policy.rst#branch-names
> in the section "Branch names" and mentions "debian/master". Perhaps that
> should be updated?
>
> Anyway, thanks for changing it!

I could be wrong, but ISTR that the branch name was debian/master for a
long time in the policy (dates back to 2016 at least?)

I'm not sure that DEP-14 was providing a recommendation for sid branches
at that time.

Anyway, I think that indeed we should offer in the policy a choice
between debian/unstable, debian/latest or debian/master although I'd not
recommend the latest, because it makes less sense logically, so I'd
deprecate it.

>> I pushed a debian/unstable branch and modified gbp.conf.
>>
>>  1. Regarding packaging, lintian is happy and the files look good to
>>     me. You can install devscripts and use wrap-and-sort to make some
>>     things a bit more readable (IMHO). (have a look at devscripts in
>>     general, it's resourceful)
>
> Thanks for showing wrap-and-sort! Note taken and I will look at other
> interesting things in devscripts.
>
>>  2. Regarding testing, this package is a bit a mess. First you probably
>>     realized that you can't run tests at buildtime because a raw socket
>>     requires root privilege. I see you designed custom autopkgtest to
>
> yep...
>
> [...]
>
>>     From there you have two options: the first one is to drop the
>>     Testsuite: field and keep the two tests you designed and call it a
>>     day, or you drop it and write a third test stanza in
>>     debian/tests/control with a shell script you'd also have to write
>>     that moves the tests to the tmp dir autopkgtest creates, puts
>>     localhost in /etc/hosts and then run tests. In that case you need
>>     to add pytest to the dependencies of this test stanza.
>
> Sounds doable no problem, I'll try it this evening and see how it goes.
>
>> Tell me when you're fine with your work and I'll upload.
>
> thanks very much for the information, will let you know something.

You're very welcome!

--
PEB