Help needed: numpy FTBFS with newer setuptools

Hello,
with the recent upload of setuptools/65.3.0 (and following) in
unstable, numpy FTBFS[1]. The reason is that numpy build system (both
used internally and by other packages) customizes
setuptools/distutils.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1020135

Upstream is unwilling[2] to continue patching their build system in
response to setuptools changes. While there may be merit in their
position, this leaves Debian in a state where numpy is unbuildable,
and the freeze is approaching.

[2] https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/21114

I tried to look at addressing this problem myself, but i had no luck,
so i'm here to ask for the help of the wider python team to address
this issue.

A build log from my machine is available here[3] (error is at the end
of the page, as usual).

[3] https://paste.debian.net/1259001/

My plan would be, once this is addressed, to package the latest 1.23.4
in experimental, ask for an archive rebuild and later upload 1.23.x to
unstable in time for the freeze. This plan is currently on hold due to
[1].

Thanks in advance for your help!

--
Sandro "morph" Tosi