Python 4 and ‘python3’ (was: /usr/bin/python2 shebangs)

Donald Stufft <donald@stufft.io> writes:

> /usr/bin/python3 being Python 4.x is a bit weird though

Seriously? Who is proposing that?

> and it’s likely that Python 4.x is not going to be another break the
> world release.

Certainly the command ‘python3’ should only ever point to the Python 3
interpreter.

If upstream ever releases a “Python 4” but expects the interpreter for
that to also be named ‘python3’, I think we can declare upstream to be
directly courting user pain, and secede on behalf of our users.

--
 \        “[It's] best to confuse only one issue at a time.” —Brian W. |
  `\  Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie, _The C programming language_, 1988 |