Re: Advice on packaging of Lunatic Python

On 04/11/2014 11:42 AM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> In any event, after discovering the existing python-lua package I
> thought of replacing my planned python-lua binary package with a package
> called python-lunatic and having it conflict with python-lua.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Generally speaking, in Debian, package are conflicting on each other in
2 cases:
- when something is moving from one binary to another (in which case you
should also add a "Replaces:")
- when 2 packages are offering the same functionality, but with a
different implementation (for example, a fork of the same library,
providing the same API).

Adding a Conflicts: on 2 packages offering completely different things
and which are not directly related is a bug. You shouldn't do that. What
you should do is solve the problem.

Now, solving that problem might not be easy. The first thing that comes
to mind is talk to upstream of your python module, and ask him to rename
to avoid the conflict. If that's not possible, then you will have to do
this yourself, with patches. But then the issue will be that users of
your package will have broken imports (eg: the "import lua" will only
import the *other* module). So it will be problematic. I'm not sure
what's the solution in this case. Sometimes, there's unfortunately no
good solution.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)