Re: python-aeidon package

On Jun 26, 2013, at 10:24 PM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:

>* python-simplejson - I maintain this one and python3-simplejson is in
>  experimental, I will move it to unstable once pybuild is available
>  there (and since I'm the author of pybuild, I don't have to wait for
>  anyone, it's all up to me ;)

I'm tending to recommend folks just port to the built-in json library.  Is
there any reason not to do that, either in general or in this specific case?

>* python-xapian - "Python 3 support is under development, but not yet
>  fully functional - see ticket#346 for details:
>  http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/346"; - so this one could be a problem.

Yes, it definitely will.  Several of us have taken runs at porting this to
Python 3.  So far, everyone's been defeated.  Upstream doesn't seem very
interested in it either.

If the Xapian database doesn't have to interoperate with any other tools,
maybe Whoosh would be a good replacement?  Upstream supports Python 3, but
it's not yet packaged.

Cheers,
-Barry