Python2.4 has been removed, now what for Zopistas and Plonistas?

Hi,

unfortunately, I've missed decision to remove Python2.4 from Debian,
but the result is that Zope2.10, required for Plone 3.x, will not run
on Squeeze anymore, and that the zope2.10 package from sid is now
completely uninstallable.

Even installing Zope from upstream's source, imho "the" recommended
method, does no longer work without prior manual installation of Python
and a load of additional packages from their respective upstream's
source, too (makes it much more of a hassle...).

I am not sure that this was a good choice, although I feel the pain of
maintaining a Python 2.4 stack in Squeeze, because:

 * Plone, and thus Zope is still a major Python application, and I
   heavily doubt that Plone 4.0 will see the light in time to make it
   into Squeeze (it's currently in alpha state, afaik).

 * The upgrade from Plone 3 to Plone 4 requires significant work, which
   many users will probably not even be able to handle shortly, so
   their options will be to continue to run Lenny, compile from source
   entirely, along with appropriate testing and deployment efforts, or
   to switch platforms.

 * I therefore think that Plone 3 is here to stay for at least one or
   two more years, because of the migration effort.

 * Plone 3 absolutely requires Zope 2.10.

If Python2.4 will stay out of Squeeze, I think removal bugs should be
filed against all packages that are required for Plone3 and not
elsewhere, including Zope 2.10 and friends to avoid trying to eg.
install a package only to see an error message because depenencies
can't be met. Right? Wrong?

Kind regards,
--Toni++