Re: Lack of replies

On 2024-01-04 15:54:28 +0100 (+0100), Daniel Gröber wrote:
[...]
> Just to make sure I understand the constraints: we can determine
> at sending time whether a particular domain is going to cause
> trouble or not, right? If so could this rewrite scheme be applied
> only for recipients where it's absolutely necessary?
[...]

Unfortunately no. It *used* to be a popular assumption that you
could look at the published DKIM/DMARC policies for a given address
and determine whether you can safely put them in the From header,
but that changed recently when Gmail decided to treat messages from
its own users more strictly than the policy it publishes for them in
DNS. And since Gmail does custom domain hosting too, you can't
simply limit the workaround to treating their well-known domain
specially. Given its popularity (near ubiquity) as a freemail
provider these days, telling users they'll have to get an address
somewhere else to interact with the BTS is unlikely to end well
either.
--
Jeremy Stanley