Re: Question for Planet Admins: What Should I do if another Developer Removes my Blog

Hi Sam,

surprising statements from you ...

On Wed, 22 May 2019, Sam Hartman wrote:
> The same is true of package maintainership though.  We sometimes do
> change the maintainership because we're unhappy with how someone
> maintains their packages.  That rarely uses the formal policy that goes

??? This seems to be new - at least when I became DD some 10+ years ago
this was not the case, and it was completely out of discussion to do
this.

Why would we need "package salvaging" (thanks Paul for that!)
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch05.en.html#package-salvaging
if we can change package maintainership just like that?

I will remember your statement the next time I consider another
maintainers packaging efforts insufficient.

> As a matter of technical capability we can all do a bunch of arbitrary
> things.  As a matter of practice we sometimes do things that according
> to written policies and procedures seem kind of arbitrary.  And if

I am not sure what you mean with *we*, but I am sure that most "normal"
DD are not allowed to overstep the rules that easily.

> It's frustrating if you want hard and fast written rules.  But it works
> a lot better than if we did try to write down those rules.

I agree with you that having less rules would be much better - that is
exactely what I proposed back then when the CoC was introduced. But
Debian tries to govern even the most ungovernable things with rules.

So all in all, your position is very surprising, and I can only assume
that the rules and acceptable behaviour you are talking about are others
than those that apply to the average DD.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer