Re: should debian comment about the recent 'ransomware' malware.

On Wed, 17 May 2017, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 01:59:37PM +1000, Russell Stuart wrote:
> > Microsoft users or indeed Android users, iOS users and I presume OSX
> > users get security updates installed automagically by default.
>
> that's awesome and I hope by 2019 the default stable Debian desktop install
> will do that too!

You know, if the stuff we have in testing _rignt now_ works flawlessly,
we can (and should) add to the Release Notes in big red letters that
people ought to install it.   It can even be made a post to
debian-announce and debian-security-announce (if the security team
agrees with the notion).

It is not impossible to change that for the upcoming stable release
either, as it is just a matter of including it by default on the desktop
and laptop tasks.  But this really should have been done much earlier,
and it really depends on the release team deciding to tolerate this
specific change.

All that assumes what we have right now to enforce automated updates or
automated pestering of the user about available security update *works*
without doing crazy crap every once in a blue moon.

--
  Henrique Holschuh