Re: producing, distributing, storing Debian t-shirts

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 7:53 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> On several occasions people have asked me about Debian t-shirts and the
> polo shirts when I'm going to an event or after seeing a video where I
> am wearing the polo shirt.

Are you reminding those folks about our merchandise page?

https://www.debian.org/misc/merchandise

PS: I've just updated the page a bit:

https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/webwml/webwml/english/misc/merchandise.data?r1=1.70&r2=1.71
https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/webwml/webwml/english/misc/merchandise.def?r1=1.44&r2=1.45
https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/webwml/webwml/english/misc/merchandise.wml?r1=1.7&r2=1.9

> - how do people view the distribution of merchandise, is the primary
> goal fundraising or is it about brand exposure?

The latter seems more appropriate for a non-profit but I'm not sure we
should be undercutting our merchandise partners, especially the ones
that donate a portion of their profits to Debian.

> - would it be reasonable for 1% - 2% of Debian's reserves to be tied up
> in slow moving inventory items like t-shirts that take up to a year to
> fully turnover?  As the reserves are mostly kept in cash Debian probably
> loses at least that much to inflation each year anyway.

The official view of the Debian project in the past seems to have been
that we leave the distribution of physical items up to our vendors,
for both merchandise and CD/DVD/BD/USB. I don't think that should
change.

https://www.debian.org/misc/merchandise
https://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/

--