Re: Re: Would you agree - Debian is for the tech savvy

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 09:07:10PM -0500, Stephan Foley wrote:
> [Yaroslav Halchenko]
> >> And, I am tech-savvy :-)
> >
> > Why wasn't it enough to run these two commands?
> > apt-get install xorg
> > apt-get install fluxbox
> >
> > The instructions on the wiki metion only this:
> > https://wiki.debian.org/FluxBox#Installation
>
> grrrrrrr....
>

> Well, first off, I had to figure out the best display manager. Then, install
> Fluxbox and you got some ugly styling! Then, I had to figure out how to
> config all the gtk stuff and fonts, etc. Then, of course, no sound. And how
> about auto mounting external drives, etc, etc! Or even just artwork for grub
> and lightdm.

It is fair to say that Debian supports:
- Non-technical desktop users who want to use one of:
  - Gnome
  - KDE
  - Mate
  - Cinnamon
  - XFCE
  - LXDE
- non-technical users who want to run a web, print, or SSH server;
- Technical users who want to use anything else

since these are the "tasks" that are included in the installer, and
which produce a full selection of packages.

FluxBox is not one of those. If you want to use a user interface that
isn't one of the standard environments, it's certainly possible to do so
within Debian, but it *will* indeed require a lot more effort.

However, going from there to saying that "Debian is only for the tech
savvy sys admin type and the server market" is taking a bit of a leap
that I'm not sure is a fair one. We do support less tech savvy people,
just not with such highly customized environments.

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26