Re: Why so many install DVD's ?

dos4ever dijo [Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 08:46:11AM -0800]:
> Hello I checked the FAQ and did not find the answer to this
> question: Why 7 install  iso files at 4.4G & 1 at 842M =31Gb.
> I would hope that disk 1 is all that is needed to install the OS and
> the rest are programs?
> If they are all needed to install the OS that would make Debian more
> bloatware then Win 7.
> I hope that is not the case.
> thanks

Remember that the Debian system is more than "just" the operating
system - Our work is centered around making over 20,000 independent
software packages properly work together, installable following a
clear logic outlined in our policies, in the best possible way for our
users.

I doubt there is anybody who has installed all of the coinstallable¹
packages. The size of an average desktop install is well below 5GB²,
including the whole desktop suite (with the most often used programs
for a "regular" workstation).

--

¹ Some packages are not coinstallable, so installing _all_ of Debian
  is just impossible

² http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch03s04.html.en