Re: DAM and NEW queues processing

Le Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 04:18:34PM +0200, Ana Guerrero a écrit :

> And we already have DM to avoid the frustration to not being able to upload
> trivial packaging changes.  Now DM has been here for some time, we might
> consider improve it, but that is another issues.

Hi all,

how Debian would be different if DMs were DD? It has been written earlier that
some DMs sometimes show on mailing lists that they are not mastering the whole
process completely. But is this a bad sign? A bad sign would be that they
upload broken packages without asking. In my experience, DMs do not upload more
broken packages than DDs.

Everybody starts by being beginner, and the one who never does mistakes usually
never does anything at all. I think that we are focusing too much on what
people know instead of what people do, and that Thomas has underlined a
crucial factor that is not well taken into account, committment.

We do not have a good exit path that keeps the door open and shows gratefulness
from the Project to its past collaborators. Usually it goes either by MIA or a
goodbye email on debian-private. Would it be easy to leave and come back, it
would be less stressful for the project to let people in. I think that a
combination of advocation and membership expiration date can really do a great
job. It may be appropriate to add a brake to the system, like shortlisting the
possible advocates on seniority or team membership, and limiting the number of
advocation per year and per developer.

Lasty, I would like to say that I really enjoyed the NM process, because I
learned a lot and I liked the communication with my application manager. But
if the goal of NM is to check the abilities of people who are ready, this is
definitely a sign of failure: there needs much more energy to sustain a
training school than to sustain a certification center.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan