Re: Packages

On Thursday 15 February 2007 00:15, joseph irvin wrote:
> I would like to try Debian Linux, but don't know which packages I
> need.  Which packages would you recommend for the average user,
> including internet, photos, email, word processing, and music?

The best thing to do is probably to download an installer image and select
to install the "desktop" task during installation. Installer images for
the Etch release are available from [1].

There are currently no full CD images available. I'd suggest you use a
netinst image (make sure you select one for the architecture that matches
your computer, probably either i386 or amd64).
Note that installing using a netinst means that quite a few packages will
be downloaded from the internet during the installation, so this may not
be the best option if you have a relatively slow internet connection.

The page [1] also has a link to the installation guide. For information
about architectures and releases, see our project home page [2].

> Can entire packages be downloaded or do individual files need to be
> downloaded?

In Debian you always install packages, not individual files.

Hope this helps. Note that this question would have been somewhat more
appropriate for the debian-user mailing list.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
[2] http://www.debian.org/