Re: DCC (Debian Confusion Core) trademark negotiation status

Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 05:01:06PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
>
>>Bart Schuller writes ("Re: DCC (Debian Confusion Core) trademark negotiation status"):
>>
>>>http://ianmurdock.com/?p=274
>>
>>This is some kind of insulting joke.
>
> Glad I'm not the only one that thinks that.

I wonder how, for example, Nike[1] would react if one were to put a series
of press releases announcing the newly formed:

  NQA -- Nike(TM) Quality Alliance

in which you implied that you'd be providing better foot ware than the
average Nike output, by running them through another level of quality
checking.  Then, after news of this had hit the New York Times,  you could
explain that you were going to change what NQA stood for, and  now it
stands for "NQA Quality Alliance" so there was nothing for Nike to worry
about, but that you were not going to bother with a press release.

I think you'd find yourself in court in the blink of an eye, and I doubt
that you'd be allowed to have an N anywhere near your name, assuming that
you were still in business by the time Nike's lawyers were finished with you.

Also, I was under the impression that recursive acronyms needed to be
witty, or at least close to being a pronounceable word, to count.

I suppose one could try pronouncing DCC as "Dick" to make it qualify ;-)

Cheers, Phil.

[1] I'm not trying to imply anything good or bad about Nike, it was just a
random example of a corporation with an interest in protecting its trademark.