Re: "Debian" Core Consortium

Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Ian Murdock (imurdock@progeny.com) wrote:
>>Ok, this is most unexpected, so I'm going to have to take
>>some time to consider my response. I can say with 100% certainty that
>>a trademark policy more restrictive than the one adopted by Linus
>>Torvalds for Linux isn't what the founder of this project had in mind.
>
> Uh, my response would be appropriate if Debian *did* have the trademark
> policy Linus uses for Linux.  It's basically "ask first, get an official
> submark before using it, or don't use it".

I've had a company called "Progeny Linux Systems" for over five
years now and have been involved in various other organizations
through the years which included the name "Linux" (like
the "Linux Core Consortium"), and I've yet to have
to ask Linus for permission to use the Linux trademark.

> It's pretty obvious that
> people involved in creating this new entity would have a conflict of
> interest as to if the submark should be granted or not, so they
> shouldn't be involved in the decision making associated with granting it
> or not.

I agree, though I have no idea what this has to do with the previous
point.

--
Ian Murdock
317-578-8882 (office)

"A nerd is someone who uses a telephone to talk to other people about
telephones." --Douglas Adams