Re: Request for Removal: Unmaintained libppd in Debian

On 30.12.22 16:24, Till Kamppeter wrote:

I will prepare the package right now ... The actual upload needs to get sponsored, as I am not a Debian Developer. Thorsten could most probably do this. Once in Debian, we will sync into Ubuntu.

Sure, I will do this (after Bookworm :-)).
Nevertheless after libppd-legacy is available now, the old version of libppd must really disappear. All active packages must switch to libppd-legacy, the no-longer-needed-ones need to be RMed. The icing on the cake would be to remove libppd itself.

What prevented me from doing so was Thorsten telling me that it is to short before Bookworm. So I suggested this Ubuntu-only roadmap in an earlier e-mail in this thread.

Almost every Debian computer is printing one way or another. Printing basically works now. The last time this discussion started, the new cups-filter was only available as a beta version. There is no urgent need to change anything. Especially as the transition freeze begins in a few days. So why should we jump the gun and introduce some new features? I absolutely don't like to fix bugs via PU but instead would prefer to go via unstable, backports and release in Bookworm+1. We should concentrate on the available packages and fix as much bugs as possible.

  Thorsten