Re: Printing packaging rework 2020

On Fri 31 Jan 2020 at 16:36:59 +0100, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:

> Le vendredi, 31 janvier 2020, 14.03:46 h CET Brian Potkin a écrit :
> > I would say 100% of popular network printers available for users to
> > purchase in at least the past five years have AirPrint. For our
> > purposes this is the defining aspect of driverless. A number of devices
> > is USB only.
>
> Isn't ippusbxd meant to help solving this?

It is and might suit a user if the device supports IPP-over-USB. It is
doable on Debian but not straightforward to set up. Please see

and

  https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting?action=show&redirect=DriverlessPrinting#shortippusbxd
  https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting?action=show&redirect=DriverlessPrinting#ippusbxd

The ability to scan, if it exists, is also lost. I'd be inclined to
guide a user down a driver path.

Regards,

Brian.