Re: RFC: Refactoring our Printing Stack(s)

On 11-10-14 at 03:52pm, Didier Raboud wrote:
> The current state IMHO suffers from multiple flaws, that I tried to
> describe (and possibly address) on a wiki page under the "Printing
> Team" namespace:
>
> 	http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Printing/RethinkingTheStack

That page looks quite sensible to me as it is written todat - i.e.
http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Printing/RethinkingTheStack?action=recall&rev=7

I do not agree on the last part, though: I see no need for everyone
involved collectively "holding our breath" by stuffing all changes into
experimental.

Packages providing printer drivers need only consensus on naming, and
can then be changes one at a time: Rename binary package, and provide
old binary package as an empty transitional package that the new package
does *not* conflict with.

Other parts of the stack may need coordination, and for those it makes
sense to use experimental as staging area - but let's keep the
transition the least complex as possible, as that also helps ease
migrations from older to newer releases of both Debian and derived
distros.

 - Jonas