PPC64 install && Firefox

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give some feedback on the install of ppc64 on a Mac G5.

I had a few issues when installing the latest version.

Grub install fails when not installing standard system utilities through tasksel during installation. I’m not sure if packages are required for ppc64 grub install from standard system utilities but I thought I’d mention it.

During installation, upgrading via ports archive dpkg throws up an error with the start stop daemon not being able to write to the directory. After installation upon reboot dpkg is broken because of this. The fix was simple and upon reinstall dpkg works as expected.

I installed xfce and noticed Firefox failed to launch with segmentation errors also the esr version does the same. Upon further research I discovered others also have this problem. I tried building both versions from Sid but they both failed to build. Is there a fix for this issue ?

I’d like to thank the maintainers for keeping the ports going on 20 year old hardware.

Mike Hosken
Sent via my iPhone