Re: How are CHRP bootinfo icons formatted?

Am 02.06.23 um 04:48 schrieb Ben Westover:
On 6/1/23 4:18 PM, Ben Westover wrote:
I have no idea what the second one is supposed to be and how I can
create it.

One thing I tested was just making the first and second bitmaps the
exact same. When I did this, it produced what looked like a
color-inverted version of the image. So, the next thing I tested was
creating an inverted version of the bitmap, and using that as the second
one. This, however, produced the same result. I then tried making the
inverted bitmap the first one and the regular one second, and I got an
image that looked relatively close to the original. I also tested making
them both the inverted bitmap, and this produced the same result. It
seems to be that no matter what the second bitmap is changed to, even if
you just make it all zeroes, the resulting image still stays the same.

So, if you take a 16x16 image, invert its colors, and use the attached
script to generate the three bitmaps (first and second being the actual
image and third just being 0xFF where it's not transparent and 0x00
where it is), you can create an icon for a CHRP script. While this is a
good enough method for something simple like the Debian logo, anything
with more complex colors doesn't look right at all. This and the fact
that changing the second bitmap doesn't seem to do anything confirms for
me that this is most definitely not the correct way to do things, but
the result of this method is certainly interesting and useful.

Here's a Debian icon I was able to create with this:

Bonus version that is full-sized 52x52 like the GNU logo:

Ben, thank you so much!

I was experimenting with those CHRP icons a while back but never could
figure out how they work, specifically the color palette was a complete
riddle to me. I searched the internet until finally I gave up...

So, again, thank you! I'm very happy you found the key to the
hexadecimal colors!

Any of you have a GitLab account? I think we should collect the OS
BADGES of various Linux distribution icons, not only Debian. Especially
those that still have PowerPC support would benefit from such an icon...
(Gentoo...)

If not, I'll sign up for a GitLab repo to collect those icons. And some
info about the CHRP boot script in general...

Thanks! Great work!
Linux User #330250