Re: Why it's so difficult to fix PowerMac booting for good

Hello,

On 6/2/23 1:56 AM, Linux User #330250 wrote:
One thing that concerns me a bit is putting Linux's CHRP boot script
into /System/Library/CoreServices/BootX, which is specific to Mac OS X.
Why is this necessary?

It's not necessary, it's just that the existing script placed by GRUB to load itself is already in that location, so putting the new one there a) removes the existing entry for GRUB and b) saves you a blessing step. The only special thing I found about that particular spot is that none of the PowerMacs I've used will display a blessed script on a USB drive unless it's in that specific location. Another bonus is if the script is in that directory along with a 'Volume Name Icon' file it will have a nice label of your choosing under the icon like OS X does.

--
Ben Westover