Re: Thank you, Adrian! [Was: Why it's so difficult to fix PowerMac booting for good]

Hi Johannes!

On Mon, 2023-05-29 at 17:49 +0200, Johannes Brakensiek wrote:
> just wanted to thank you for your ongoing perservering and
> knowledgeable effort to keep supporting PowerPCs!
>
> I think you're on the right track! Even though I don't find time to
> boot my PowerPCs often these days, each time I do I'm happy they `apt
> upgrade` and still work.
>
> So your work is highly appreciated! I think it's part of what makes
> Debian great. Even though I understand the structures of Debian are not
> always easy ones to work within.

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate the praise.

I don't use old PowerMacs as my daily drivers either. However, I enjoy
working on the code and keeping these machines alive. I have learned a
lot along the way which is also one of my main motivations.

I understand very much when users are frustrating that the installer has
still rough edges, I'm frustrated by this as well. But as you can see,
the whole situation around HFS(+) is complicated, both considering the
code as well as the licenses.

I have actually looked into Apple's latest version of »hfs« [1] now and I'm
trying to port it to Linux using the patches from Matthew Garret for the
diskdev_cmds package (version 540.11).

If Apple decides to change the license for »hfs«, we will be able to switch
to that codebase immediately.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz