Re: Updated Debian Ports installation images

Hi Doug!

On 3/31/22 03:17, Doug Kiekow wrote:
> Today I went with the 3/28 powerpc on a G4 desktop from 2002 (quicksilver).
> The install went well, but seemed much slower.  The boot went to corrupted
> graphics, so I tried again adding nomodeset to grub boot. The boot started
> normally, but eventually hung with a blinking underscore cursor in the upper
> left corner of the display. I then tried to boot into recovery mode, but ended
> up with a corrupt graphics screen.
>
> The graphics card in the G4 is an Nvidia GForce4 Ti 4600 which is listed as
> unsupported, but is supposed to work with the nouveau or vesa drivers. Are
> they part of the netinst image, or do I need to reinstall and offer a usb
> stick when asked for additonal software?

nVidia cards are probably not well supported on big-endian systems anyway, so
I would probably try swapping the card with a Radeon one.

The nVidia (nouveau) drivers are part of the kernel and if you install Xorg,
the Xorg driver package for nouveau - xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - is installed
automatically, so that shouldn't be the issue.

It might be worth capturing the kernel and Xorg log files and report the issue
to the Xorg graphics driver bug tracker.

> I'd like to thank everyone for the work, especially John Paul. Those of us
> that are complete novices wouldn't be able to use our mac's without all your
> workl

You're welcome ;-).

Adrian

--