Re: systemd being pulled in during dist-upgrade

On 2/21/22 17:18, Stan Johnson wrote:
> In my experience, installation of either sysvinit-core or systemd
> requires that the other be removed, so I don't think I can use sysvinit
> with systemd installed. But since libsystemd0 is a separate package, it
> should be enough for fwupd to require libsystemd0 instead of systemd. If
> that's already supposed to be happening, then it's not clear why an
> installation of fwupd wanted to pull in systemd (perhaps systemd is a
> prerequisite for libsystemd0, even though I can delete systemd without
> deleting libsystemd0?).

This should only be an issue when you install systemd-sysv which replaces
/sbin/init with systemd. If I remember correctly, there was even an option
for GRUB to switch between systemd and sysvinit.

You are not the first one wanting to avoid systemd, so people came up with
solutions. This is also why I think debian-powerpc is the wrong list for
systemd-related discussions. There has been tons of systemd-vs-sysvinit
discussion on debian-devel, so most knowledgeable people for this topic
are on debian-devel.

> I realize running Debian SID / bookworm is always likely to reveal
> problems, and I have no problem with that. Thanks to Rick, Adrian and
> Frank for looking into this issue.

Sure, no problem.

Adrian

--