Works (with a small tweek) on ppc64! [Re: Workaround for installing Debian onto PowerMacs (2020-02-02 image)]

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021, at 4:22 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Hello!
>
> For anyone wanting to install a current Debian unstable snapshot onto their
> PowerMacs, I'm going to write down a short guide how to make sure GRUB
> gets installed properly (in case the installation fails).
>
> Use either the powerpc or ppc64 image depending on your machine type:
>
> > https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2021-02-02/
>
> Install normally. After GRUB has been installed and the installation has
> finished, don't reboot the machine yet.
>
> Switch to another console and enter the following commands:
>
> # mount -o bind /dev/ /target/dev/
> # mount -o bind /proc/ /target/proc/
> # mount -o bind /sys/ /target/sys/
>
> # chroot /target/
> # bash
> # grub-install --macppc-directory=/boot/grub
> # export boot_device=$()
> # nvsetenv boot-device ${boot_device%%\\\\BootX}\\grub
>
> # exit
> # exit
> # umount /target/dev
> # umount /target/proc
> # umount /target/sys
> # exit
>
> Then switch back to the installer console.

The discussion of ofpathname vs ofpath got m to thinking.

So I installed the 2021-02-02 CD on my powermac G5, and applied Adrian's workaround with the minor tweak of, in addition to changing "Bootx" to "grub", changing the "-1" to "1"... as below
change
    /ht@0,f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/@-1/@0:2
to:
    /ht@0,f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/@1/@0:2

then allowed the installer to reboot.

Lo and behold!  It works!
Many thanks Adrian!  I'm really looking forward to being able to test an installer CD with these fixes incorporated...
Rick