Successful install report

Hello,

just wanted to report that I managed to install and run https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/2019-11-22/debian-10.0-ppc64-NETINST-1.iso into a LPAR on an IBM 8203-E4A (POWER6) without any issue. The LPAR is hosted by IBM i and I largely followed the instructions here:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/files/form/anonymous/api/library/f57fde24-5f30-4295-91fb-e612c6a7a75a/document/0a050aca-3ac9-4e91-87dd-16032645a695/media

Since my System is tied to a Hardware Management Console, I did use the facilities in there.

In short:
• Adding a virtual SCSI adapter to the hosting LPAR,
• Creating the Linux LPAR,
• Creating a virtual disk image (crtnwsstg),
• Upload the Netinst-Image, creating an Image Catalog and mounting it,
• Creating a Network Server Description and tying the virtual disk to it,
• Vary on the Network Server Description,
• Start the LPAR (from HMC) with "IPL to SMS",
• Use SMS Menus to Boot from virtual CD Drive No. 2 (1 is the hardware drive in the machine, 2 is the image catalog virtual drive shared via virtual SCSI bus).

From  there, install is as usual.

Ah, BTW, with my HMC, it's not possible to open a terminal session: The window will just not open. Workaround:

HMC Management => Operations => Open Restricted Shell Terminal. In there, type "vtmenu" to connect to the appropriate console session.

Thank you guys for keeping PPC64 BE alive!

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc