Re: Problems with hfsprogs on G5 Power Macs

On 08/01/2019 18:45, Frank Scheiner wrote:

> On 1/8/19 14:15, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
>> Do you see the fsck error on all filesystems or just /dev/sda4?
>
> I only have one HFS (actually /dev/sda2) on the used disk. And the `fsck.hfs` errors
> happen with both clean and damaged HFSes.
>
>> I'd be interested to
>> do a side-by-side comparison with the same filesystem image on my local G4 mini vs.
>> your G5 to help work out what is happening, if it's something you can make available?
>
> I already tried that, `fsck.hfs` works on a G4 (Mac mini G4 here, too) and can both
> check and repair clean/damaged HFSes on the very same disk. See [1] for the process,
> where I first made sure that the HFS is ok on a Mac mini G4 and then tried to check
> it on a G5 with (1) a 64 bit version of fsck.hfs - which segfaulted - and (2) a 32
> bit version of fsck.hfs - which worked the same way as it did on the G4.
>
> [1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2019/01/msg00023.html
>
> Therefore think the problem is not the state of the HFS, as I got the segfaults for
> both damaged and undamaged HFSes. Quick test: Just create a HFS on a G4 (e.g. using
> `parted` and `mkfs.hfs`) and try to check it on a G5 with the 64 bit version of
> `fsck.hfs`.

Absolutely I understand that you've done the work to narrow down the issue, but the
easiest way to do this will be to build full debug versions on both a G4 and a G5,
step through them both via gdb, and then it should be really easy to spot where
things start to go wrong.

I don't think it will take long at all to track this down, but whilst I have some G4
hardware sadly I don't have any G5 hardware to test with. Does anyone out there have
a G5 that they could temporarily let me have SSH access to for a short while?
Non-root should be absolutely fine.

ATB,

Mark.