Re: Big-Endian testers wanted: Sonic Pi (in Debian testing)

On Mar 5, 2016, at 1:40 PM, Hanno Zulla <abos@hanno.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> there's a new package in Debian Testing and it took us some time making
> it build for big-endian hardware.
>
> Now that buildd doesn't complain, I'd love to hear from actual users of
> big-endian hardware if the binaries work for you.
>
> It's called "Sonic Pi"
>
> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/sonic-pi
>
> ...and it's a music synthesizer controlled by code. The software needs a
> graphical desktop, but it should work on lower-end hardware (its main
> platform is the Raspberry Pi, but that one is little-endian).
>
> There's a built-in tutorial in it, but you can also have a look at this
>
> https://gist.github.com/hzulla/cf9165ba15342e5df9b3
>
> for a quick start. Also, there's quite a lot of stuff on Youtube about it.
>
> Would love to hear from you. Does it work? Does a more complicated music
> code (like "Tilburg 2" in the examples section) work with it?
>
> Thanks for testing,
>
> Hanno

OK, Hanno, I'm game.  I've got a PowerMac G5 (64-bit, bigendian PowerPC) machine running Debian stretch/testing with a custom kernel from Peter Saisanas to deal with the NvidiaNvidia graphics card.  With alsaplayer it produces good sound thru the on-board speakers.

What would you like me to do by way of testing your program?

Enjoy!
Rick