Re: wanted: old G5 hardware for use on the ppc64 port

On Mon, 2 Feb 2015 15:22:01 -0500
"Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> I guess no one is selling IBM pSeries servers used for cheap.
>
> Are any of the freescale eval boards reasonably priced?  After all any
> e5500 or e6500 core is PPC64 as well.  It seems a T1040 eval board is
> $1250 US for a 1.4GHz quad core e5500 (64 bit PPC).  I have no idea
> how that compares to a used G5 in price.

It should be quite faster, and the ppc notebook above will use an e6500,
but that will have to wait for a while. In the meantime, I would be fine
with a used iMac G5, I was almost going to get one minutes ago but I
was outbid on ebay and at the moment I can't affort to spend ~180-200€
to buy one (that's the usual price+shipping here on ebay). I have
plenty of peripherals to put in the system (RAM+disk) the only thing
missing is the actual G5 :)

Thanks for the reply

--
Konstantinos Margaritis