Re: About the computational power of g4 machines

Am Samstag 16 Mai 2009 09:59:50 schrieb Rogério Brito:
> Hi.
>
> I have the opportunity to buy an iBook G4 800MHz so that i can continue
> working with Debian + PowerPC.
>
> I have two questions, which I list below.
>
> On May 12 2009, drz wrote:
> > Anybody tried this out on a powerbook g4 (1.33Ghz here):
>
> Is one machine of these able to play the videos listed below?
>
> http://images.apple.com/movies/us/hd_gallery/gl1800/480p/gilmour_480p.mov
> http://images.apple.com/movies/us/hd_gallery/gl1800/720p/gilmour_720p.mov
> http://images.apple.com/movies/us/hd_gallery/gl1800/1080p/gilmour_1080p.mov
1080p is not viewable here (with compiz activated, didnt try without, graphics
hardware see below)
720p is perfect.

> If anybody could test it under other clocks (say, using the different
> governors/frequency scaling), it would be very informative.
>
> Another question: is a Radeon 7500 mobility with 32MB of VRAM able to
> use compiz and similars?
I guess this will be a little too less for compiz, but I dont really know.
(my PB G4 has a radeon 9700, rv350 chip). But I have a Dell notebook with a
9000 mobility, rv250) and as I ran early versions of compiz it worked, but was
a little laggy, so I had no real fun with it slowing down the system.

If you can get your fingers on a 1,33 Ghz version, try that for more graphics
power, its a perfect machine. ;) I youre not into gaming no normal user needs
more.

Used Powerbooks are unbelievable expensive, even my 5 year old PB (ebay: over
500 € still, you get a first class used PC notebook for that amount). The used
Apple Notebooks seem to be a pretty good investment ;).

greetz
drz

--
------

gpg fp: 5518 8F74 B2A0 E91A 6FAD 8AC8 C02C 6C6F C899 DC65
Public Key: http://rizzux.org/drz.asc