Re: getting wireless and dvi out (clone mode) to work on iBook G4 - help needed, plz

Hi,

I have been playing around with my iBook G4, and here is the report:

On 21 Nov 2007 20:39:43 GMT, Jack Malmostoso <jackmalmostoso@freesurf.ch> wrote:
> Honestly, I'd go for Unstable:
>
> 1) You get Xorg 1.4 with Xrandr 1.2 support and the latest and greatest ati driver
> 2) You get the latest kernel and possibly the latest bcm43xx driver
> 3) Regressions have been reported about sleep, but 2.6.22 should be ok

Following Jack's advise I upgraded (dist-upgrade) to unstable - which
was not as smooth as I had expected, but that is beside the point now.
(may be i'll take it up in a new thread). As a consequence I have Xorg
7.3, Xrandr 1.2, bcm43xx-fwcutter 006.3, pbbuttonsd 0.7.9-2 - AND
finally some success.

I can access WEP and WPA PSK encrypted networks, I am yet to try WPA2
Enterprise. I can set the machine go to sleep using the power button
(due to pbbuttonsd?).

On Nov 22, 2007 6:52 AM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> wrote:
> Attaching xorg.conf, working here on an alubook, and on a relatively fresh
> Debian unstable. The only problem I remember over the last time was a
> crash/machine-power-off, when I tried to put the machine to sleep via
> the powerbutton: In the meantime I believe that the reason for that
> that might be that pbbuttonsd perhaps wasn't up ... or something like
> that ...

@Wolfgang: thanks for the file,
but I couldn't see anything specific to a dual monitor setup (at least
in clone mode) in there. I think I did not make my self clear - I was
(and still am) looking for a xorg.conf with "working-dual-display"
settings in it. But none-the-less your file was a good starting point.
I added the "mergedFB" recomendations from Javier's (Orlando?) link
http://ozlabs.org/~jk/docs/mergefb/ to have two sections each for
Device, Monitor and Screen.

The DVI -> VGA out display is not entirely satsifactory. The image
that I see on the external moonitor is extremely low on contrast and
the colors are completely screwed. Anyting bold is nicely visible but
the rest are all hazy, black is gray, none of the background colors
(desktop/webpages) are displayed, anything in light colors is
invisible. Even opensuse 10.3 had this problem too - which leads me to
think that, this is specific to my hardware. Can any provide any tips
on improvment? Let me know which kind of information will be helpful
(xorg.conf / Xorg.log /...).

--
Regards
PK