Building the powerpc archive on a machine having ppc64 in its uname output.

Hi Sven, hi all,

First of all, sorry for mixing discussions about buildd relocation and
usability buildds with the "ppc64" string in their uname for building
the powerpc port in the future. I have now separated the threads
accordingly. Good luck to Voltaire in his trip.

Le Fri, May 11, 2007 at 11:45:59AM +0200, Sven Luther a écrit :
> On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 06:34:31PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> >
> > But I have another concern. In my experience, some debian source
> > packages do not build on G5 running the Debian powerpc port because
> > their ./configure scripts get confused by the "ppc64" string in the
> > uname output. Depending on how widespread this problem is, this has two
> > consequences:
>
> My opinion, is that such packages are buggy, and the problem should be
> fixed, probably at the build infrastructure level, with some smart
> substitution, if it has not been fixed already. I have not yet seen any
> such problem, and ubuntu use powerpc64 hardware as their powerpc
> buildds.

I have just looked at the buildd information of Ubuntu, and it seems
that they use only G3/G4 machines:

https://launchpad.net/+builds/royal
https://launchpad.net/+builds/adare
https://launchpad.net/+builds/ross

Or am I just confused and they meant that they build *for* G3/G4 ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org