Re: A friendly plea for Linux PPC help!

Hello,

I hate to bud in, but I suggest getting the boot floppies from:

http://layer-acht.org/d-i-miboot/powerpc/floppy-2.4/

These are the old sarge boot floppies, which work. The ones at ~wouter which are from etch seem to be in a constant state of disarray. (unless of course someone has fixed them)

Also download the instruction manual for sarge:

http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/powerpc/index.html.en

which explains almost everything.

While you're at it might as well read the installation manual for netbsd:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-3.1/macppc/INSTALL.html

which fills in some of the gaps left by debian related to open firmware. This is the only complete explanation of how to deal with open firmware.

Basically the big difference between debian and netbsd, in things oldworld powerpc, is the boot process both during and after the install. In netbsd it has to be set up manually and they give you the instructions to be able to do that. Debian tries to set it up automatically, which failed in my case. But then again if it fails you can just post you're questions here. You might even get an answer.

Well, good luck. You'll need it :)
Rob

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/