Re: which serious bugs exactly? (Re: if you care about debian on powerpc, please react ...)

Le Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 10:37:40AM +0100, Holger Levsen a écrit :
> And really, loud fans are an issue, but they don't make the installer
> completly usuable (play some louder music during the 30mins of installations,
> whatever) for the minority of powerpc users with such a hardware

Hi Holger,

Actually, the biggest problem with the installer is that it does not
prepare the installed system to manage the fans correctly. If an user
decided to run the installation with the fans at maximal speed, he would
see after reboot that it does not go better, and maybe think that the
situation is hopeless (in addition, as ftp.country.debian.org is not
necessarly the fastest mirror, the installation can take much more than
30 minutes).

Also, having the fans going from zero to max speed one minute after the
boot is very worrying for persons who know nothing about openfirmware.
The first time it happened to me, I shut the power down as fast as
possible, because I feared hardware damage.

I do not know how many iMacs G5 were sold by Apple, but due to the
swich to intel processors, they are a nice target for Debianization,
especially now that Airport Extreme is well supported. (The absence of
3D drivers for Nvidia is still a pain, though).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org