can not switch to virtual terminal since upgrading kernel and gdm

Hello!

I am running an old G4/400 with a usb keyboard for testing reason with the current kernel (2.6.17.11 from kernel.org). I do not know when it happend but I am not able to switch to a virtual terminal anymore. If I remember right , I could switch with (CTRL+Option+F1) to vt1 with kernel <=2.6.17.8. But with kernel 2.6.17.11 and 2.6.17.9 this is not possible any more.

Maybe it is not a kernel problem, i am running gdm and i upgrade gdm in the same timeslot. So maybe gdm overwrote a config-parameter?

Every help is welcome, bye,
Christoph

P.S. I found some articles in the list with a related problem - this was solved by creating /dev/adb and to check with "fnset -u" , well here it is:

g4linux:/usr/src/linux# fnset -u
fnset: write(): No such device or address
fnset: write(): No such device or address
Failed to find device

g4linux:/usr/src/linux# ls -l /dev/adb
crw-rw---- 1 root root 56, 0 2004-07-22 23:43 /dev/adb