X.Org artificats and freezes

I have some strange problems lately with X.Org on my iMac G5 revision B.
On black backgrounds I can see 'green' patterns of particle-like
effects. I can really notice them! I am using the 'radeon' driver. I
have played around with things like dissabling framebuffer. I also tried
using the standard vesa or fbdev driver but I get a message of invalid
I/O location.

processor       : 0
cpu             : PPC970FX, altivec supported
clock           : 2000.000000MHz
revision        : 3.1 (pvr 003c 0301)
timebase        : 33333333
platform        : PowerMac
machine         : PowerMac8,2
motherboard     : PowerMac8,2 MacRISC4 Power Macintosh
detected as     : 414 (Unknown Shasta-based)
pmac flags      : 00000000
L2 cache        : 512K unified
pmac-generation : NewWorld

etch/testing