Advice on new laptop

hi list.

i'm on the verge of buying a new laptop. currently, i'm the happy
owner of an ibook, where i run exclusively debian, and i was thinking
of a powerbook -- given my budget, i think it's the best available
laptop as hardware goes (i am not interested in apple software and
won't use mac os x), or, at least, the one i like best.

but i was wondering: right now, support for the linux kernel on
apple's notebooks is excellent (many, many thanks to Ben and the rest
of you), but what about a year from now? do you think the ppc
architecture will lag behind after the ignominious intel switch? Ben,
if you don't mind my asking, do you think you'll have the chance (and
will feel like--i guess you and/or your employer weren't happy with
the switch) work on linux-ppc as of old?

thanks for your time and comments,
jao
--
"There are three kinds of people: those who can count, and those who can't"