2.4.18 (on PM7600) - video fails - uniform grey screen

Good folk,

I decided to take a plunge into more modern times and switch to 2.4.18 from the default 2.2.20. I suspected there might be a glitch or two since the 7600 is an oldworld, so I re-read all my original install notes before starting. The commands i issued went like this:

# apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.20-pmac
     (odd how it's not packaged by the old installer!)
# apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-powerpc
A ner kernel image has been installed [ snip ] so please ignore this if you are using such a boot loader. [ snip ]
Do you wish to set up Linux to boot from the hard disk?
                                                       no
# hmount /dev/sda
# hcopy -r /boot/vmlinux-2.4.18-powerpc debian:System\ Folder:Linux\ Kernels:vmlinux-2.4.18-poerpc
     (thank goodness i took detailed notes during my original install)
# humount
# shutdown -r now

Upon selecting the new kernel in BootX, the screen went grey (normal) and stayed that way (not normal) with no cursor visible. I could hear the disk drive chattering away, so I thought "don't panic, maybe 2.4.18 just takes a few moments to set up the video." Several minutes later, I was still looking at a uniform grey screen. On a hunch, I tried (since I normally use kdm)
  Alt-S
  Alt-R
  <Return>
and the 7600 rebooted. Hmmmm. That's what I would expect if my eyes were closed, sort of a good sign, I suppose. On the second go-round, the video had the same problem. I waited and waited and then typed in
  Ctrl-Alt-F2
  root
(noybiwty)
  shutdown -r now
and the machine promptly rebooted. So - linux seems to be working correctly, but it won't share what it's doing with the outside world.

Off to Google I went, in search of solutions. This led to mucking with the BootX video parameters. I've tried
video=controlfb
video=ofonly
video=offb
with and without various combinations of cmode and vmode, and all with the same result.

I'm stumped, and am back at using 2.2.20.  Which FAQ did I not find read?

Peter Rooney