External monitor on iBook rev 2.2

Hi everyone!

I have an iBook rev 2.2 (G3 800 MHz Radeon Mobility 7500 - M7 LW). I
just wanted to try the interface to external monitor, so I plugged in
the adaptor and then a cable to my TFT 18" LG monitor.

It tried to display something, which was clearly some sort of hollow of
what was displayed in the built-in screen, but I was not able to make it
display a clear screen. I tried both in framebuffer console and in X
environment with same results.

Did I forget something?

P.S. The same behaviour happens if I shut the computer down and switch
it on again.

--
Jaume Sabater
http://linuxsilo.net