Re: Apple PowerMac G5

Em Fri, 04 Jul 2003 18:37:50 +0800, debia escreveu:

> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, [iso-8859-1] Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
>
>> 	But the only excuse for not fixing it is lack of focus.  PS/2 was not
>> important enough for IBM.
>
> Back then there were not _that_ many PCs around, and IBM also sold
> several ranges of minicomputer and its S/370 mainframes.

	Yes, that's why open systems are *good*.  If the PC was truly open, or if
IBM had learnt open systems properly, the PS/2 fiasco wouldn't have left
the window (oops!) open for a monopolist to take over IBM's place without
learning the lessons the Justice Department had already taught IBM.  In
other words, IBM's failure could have been filled by other companies.
The way it was, we only got clone-makers like Compaq, who killed the Alpha
and the PA-RISC at MS's bidding...

--
 _
/ \  Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra     +41 (21) 648 11 34