Re: Yet more TiBook questions

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 01:31:20AM -0700, Wilhelm Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Thursday, Oct 10, 2002, at 19:38 US/Pacific, Rog?rio Brito wrote:
>
> >	Today, (after some discussions in my family) I was thinking if
> >	it was a good thing or not to get my iBook. Aside from it
> >	being expensive, and even though having 128MB more of memory
> >	than when I got the iBook (I now have 256MB) Apple's own
> >	operating system (even Jaguar) is *quite* slow with this
> >	computer.

OSX is a ram hog; I read somewhere that a single window with no
decorations or contents takes something like ~20M of ram.  A single
terminal window from Terminal.app takes 75M under 10.1.   Quartz extreme
has helped offload the bloat into your video card.  It's a good thing
BSD has a nice VM system :)

Once powermanagement gets working on my tibook, I'm switching to linux
full time, it's like a free ram upgrade :)
-Brett