Re: Alsa plays only wav files

--- Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 12:56, Ondrej Certik wrote:
> >
> > --- Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:

> aplay
> input
> > > plugins
> Writer
> > > plugin
> resulting
> > > wav
> > >
> > > Have you tried dmasound_pmac?
> >
> > Thanks for the response. Yes, I have tried it
> today,
> > it functions well using alsaplayer, aumix
> functions
> > too, but when starting xmms, it stops with an
> error:
> > snd_mixer_attach: No such file or directory.
>
> Remove alsa-xmms, it prevents xmms from starting
> without ALSA.

Which solves the problem. Thanks. But I have no idea
how you could dicover it. I used strace to find that
xmms is trying to open /dev/snd/controlC0, which
probably causes the problem, but I didn't know what to
do next.

> > Does it mean, that the bug is in the alsa drivers?
>
> Yes. Amongst other things, they try to be too clever
> about endianness,
> causing problems of their own.

I thought that ALSA is Advanced Linux Sound
Architecture. And in the source file for snd-powermac
there is that it is based on dmasound_pmac. So why do
they introduce new bugs I don't know. Maybe it is not
as easy as I think to write a driver.

So you think that ASLA on PPC is still not mature
enough?

And I still don't understand how it was possible, that
wav files were ok and mp3/ogg weren't. I thought that
mp3/ogg is decoded in the player and to ALSA it is
send as wav (or PCM)....?

Anyway, thank you for your help and time.
It functions now.

O. Certik