Re: getting a printer working

Nicholas Dobbs wrote:

> I am running Debian 2.4.19 and am trying to set up a USB laser
> printer, but I have no idea what to do since anything I find about
> printers does not help. I do have USB compiled into the kernal,
> since I am using a USB keyboard and mouse, but what else do I need
> to do?

First check, if you have USB printer support compiled into the kernel
or as module. If you install hotplug, it can load the appropiate
module automagically if you plug in the printer. Check your logs, if
the printer is detected (/var/log/syslog ?).
Second you have to setup a spooling system (CUPS, lpd, lprng etc.) and
filters. Take a look at http://www.linuxprinting.org

Regards

--
Alexander Stagun