Re: iBook and playing DVDs

On  10 May, this message from Rogério Brito echoed through cyberspace:

> 	Well, I'm not having luck getting my iBook 600MHz playing DVDs
> 	in a decent way.

I think you're quite lucky with what you get ;-)

> 	I have woody installed in this iBook and, with xine (0.9.8), I
> 	get a reasonable playback, with around 15% of dropped frames
> 	and with ugly interlaced frames. Enabling the onefield_xv
> 	deinterlace method works and makes the DVD more or less
> 	watchable, though during some stages, I can see artifacts on
> 	the image due to excessive frames being dropped.

This is probably as good as it gets right now. I don't think you can do
better without using the r128's hardware accelerated iDCT and MC.

> 	I can't get vlc 0.3.0 working well here, because there are
> 	issues with the sound (probably due to endianness problems,
> 	although I'm not really sure). I already tried telling vlc all
> 	different possibilities for endianness or signedness of the
> 	output, but I don't know if the menu is functional, as I saw
> 	little changes when I played with that option. Enabling the
> 	diagnostics seems to suggest that not all frames are played.

vlc has had sound problems for quite a while. Here's what Jack Howarth
said re. vlc's audio settings:

[quote]
>     On my debian sid machine running benh's current kernel and
> alsa 0.9beta12 I was able to get audio working under alsa, esd and
> oss. You have to select 3, the 16 bit signed big endian output from
> the audio preference section for that to work. I notified Samuel
> Hocevar and he is going to try to do something about the default, 0,
> native endian code so that it picks up 16 bit big endian on ppc.
> The audio problems with bursts of static aren't ppc specific.
> There has been and still is a audio starvation problem in vlc
> but according to Sam no one has the guts and/or time to rip into
> that code yet.
[ end quote]

I haven't tried this myself.

> 	The output of mplayer shows the amount of time it spends
> 	decoding the frames, showing the frames and dealing with
> 	audio. I notice that the percentage of time it spends with
> 	video output is quite high in comparison to my Celeron 466MHz
> 	(I'll make further tests).

That's essentially because of MTRR on i386. I wouldn't know hard numbers
to compare, but at least subjectivly, MTRR helps a lot for the copy to
VRAM of the video out data.

> 	I tried installing Michel's XFree 4.2.0 binaries and they seem
> 	to make xine work better, dropping around 6 frames less than
> 	with woody's X 4.1.0.1.
>
> 	On the other hand, DRI (which, I heard, is supposed to enable
> 	DMA transfers to video) wasn't enabled with XFree 4.2.0
[snip]

Note that for DMA you need DRI, which needs large amounts of VRAM. So
you may only be able to use that in 16-bit mode. I'm usually running in
32-bit mode :(

> 	I have already tried many things that I could think of, but I
> 	am starting to think that the possibilities are almost
> 	exhausted.  :-(

You've got it :-) No, there are a few things that still can be done:

- get ATI to open the specs for iDCT and MC in hardware. Won't happen
  anytime soon.

- optimize a few of the more processor-intensive parts of the algorithms
  with handcoded ASM. Good luck...

- use DMA: that should be doable with the right pieces of code.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |